Saturday, June 4, 2011

365, Tetherball

Casey and I played tetherball tonight, and luckily I'm not nearly as serious about it as I was in my elementary years. Fortunately, this game was also far less damaging to my mouth than my infamous last game in 4th grade.

You see, one day at lunch I got nailed in the face with the ball. All of the sudden, my mouth was bleeding everywhere and I recall my opponent telling me I looked like Dracula. Fantastic. I didn't want to get the other girl in trouble (what on earth she could possibly get in trouble for, I don't know) so I didn't open my mouth for the rest of the day and made frequent trips to the bathroom to change out my wet paper towel compress. I got in the car at the end of the day, and without opening my mouth enough to see anything, told my mom we needed to go to the dentist. She asked why, and a mere flash of my smile gave the answer- my gums were purple and probably still bleeding, the inside of my lips were cut up from the impact of ball to braces, and the wire on my braces had shifted a full 90 degrees around my mouth.

It turns out that having braces at the time was my saving grace and about the only thing that kept all of my teeth from being knocked out. I had to wear a mouthguard in PE for a few weeks while my mouth healed, and I gave up my tetherball career.

Casey and I had a lot of fun goofing around and attempting to playing, but we spent most of the time doubled over with laughter.


No comments:

Post a Comment